Thursday 14 January 2010

What is Autism?
I have a young son who was diagnosed as suffering from Aspergers syndrome a few years ago. It was quite a struggle to have his condition properly treated and it was only through internet research and speaking to other parents that I was able to discover how important diet control is in treating this condition. A change in diet does not cure autism, however I have found through my experiences with my son that it makes a dramatic difference on their behavioural patterns. I am new to blogging but feel that this information should be shared and iI shall update every week with information that I hope will help other parents. My first blog is just a basic outline of autism and its effects. Please check back for my updates and I would be pleased to hear from any other parents in similar circumstances.

Autism is a life long developmental disability that prevents proper understanding of what is heard, seen and sensed, resulting in issues with social relationships and communication. Most autistics experience problems learning normal patterns of speech and communication. Many understand speech or gestures but are unable to reply in the same communicative way.

Charactaristics differ from person to person but usually include delays in language development including peculiar speech patterns and the use of words without attachment to their normal meaning toogether with a formal or monotone voice.

The autistic child often avoid eye contact, resists being picked up and appears to 'tune out' to the world around. This results in a lack of co-operative play, an inability to develop friendships and to understand the feelings of others. The autistic child may at times appear deaf and fail to respond, at other times however, they can become very distressed by everyday noises such as dogs barking or a vacuum cleaner.

The child may also display a high pain threshold, a lack of sensitivity to heat of cold or may over-react to any of these.

The majority of autistics have varying degrees of mental retardation with only 20% having average or above average intelligence.

A person with autism may perform repetitive body movements such as twisting hands, spinning or rocking. They may also display repitition of routines like the same order of dressing and may become distressed if these routines are disturbed.

Read my next blog to understand how I helped my son who suffers from Aspergers syndrome, yet leads a normal, happy and fulfilled life, despite a few minor problems






No comments:

Post a Comment